Tennis and COVID-19 – Update 12th May 2020
The latest guidance from the UK Government and the LTA indicates that outdoor tennis courts can open on the following basis:
- Singles play can take place between any two players
- Doubles play can only take place where all players are from the same household
- All players must adhere to the strict guidance on social distancing and hygiene (see below)
Members are advised to read the specific, detailed advice from the LTA.
Rules for Playing Tennis at CSP Tennis Club:
The club will re-open for restricted play from noon on the 13th May 2020. The courts are currently being cleaned and prepared for play. For membership-fee purposes, the new season will commence on the 1st June 2020 and until then all existing members can play for free. Details of the membership scheme for 2020/21 will be circulated in due course by the Membership Secretary by email. Unless you advise us otherwise, all existing members will be registered on our new online booking system, FastCourts, using only their name and email address.
- Wherever possible, it is strongly recommended to use the online booking system, https://fastcourts.com/clubs/ChalfontStPeterTennisClub/
- Online bookings are limited to 50 minutes. This will allow a 10 minute buffer period between bookings to minimise contact during changeovers. Players can turn up and play if the courts are free, but online reservations have priority. At the end of a session, if no other players are waiting, the session can be extended.
- Tennis balls: Please bring your own tennis balls, which should be marked with your initials. The advice from the LTA is that players should only handle their own tennis balls. For example, you may wish to play with a sets of balls for each player, making sure you only handle and serve with your own initialled balls.
- Court 2 is reserved for singles play only. Courts 1,3 and 4 (back court) can be used for household-doubles or singles play.
- Junior members aged 13 and above can use the booking system; younger juniors must be accompanied by an adult member.
- The clubhouse can be used by one person at a time for toilet purposes and for washing hands.
- Social-distancing of at least 2 metres must be maintained at all times
- Players should wash hands at home before and after a tennis session without exception. If possible, please bring an alcohol hand sanitiser gel and tissues with you. Dispose of tissues in the labelled pedal bin only.
- Regularly clean and wipe down equipment, including rackets. Do not share racquets.
- Since membership will be free until 1st June, until then please bring your own balls, which should be marked if possible. The use of used balls is not recommended.
Request to Members
If you display these symptoms please DO NOT COME to the club and stay at home:
- Have a dry cough and/or a fever, shortness of breath or any of the symptoms of Covid-19
- If you have come into contact with anyone displaying these symptoms
- If anyone in your household is displaying these symptoms
- If you are in a ‘high-risk’ category as defined by the Government
You may wish to consider these options and make your own personal decisions:
- Prefer not to play if anyone in your household is ‘high-risk’
- The over 70’s should consider the strong advice from the Government on social distancing.
Our Head Coach, Stephen, will be following the LTA guidelines on coaching, and will communicate the policy to the relevant parents and club members
If anyone has any questions/comments/suggestions please contact your chairman by email (email@example.com) or phone (07747 115 362)
The situation with Covid-19 is very serious, and our top consideration is the health and well-being of our members and their families and friends. We have a social responsibility to protect everyone as far as possible. If the above advice and recommendations are taken, outdoor tennis should be a relatively safe activity that will help in the physical and mental health of our members. As circumstances change, regular updates will be sent out. We appreciate your understanding and support in this matter.
Chalfont St Peter Tennis Club Committee
12th May 2020